Prozac is an antidepressant. Its generic drug is Fluoxetine. It goes under the class of drugs known as Selective Serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). Fluoxetine was approved for medicinal use in 1986. It was discovered in 1972.
This medicine is prescribed to treat depression, panic attacks, an eating disorder known as bulimia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Buy Prozac online for the treatment of depression and also it has been directed for the treatment of premature ejaculation.
This medicine is available in various forms. Prozac capsule is available in different doses, like;
- Prozac 5 mg: This is the lowest available dose of Prozac. It is a half-green, half-white color capsule with DISTA and PROZAC written on it.
- Prozac 10 mg: Prozac 10 mg is a green-colored capsule. It has DISTA 3104 and PROZAC 10 mg written on it.
- Prozac 20 mg: It is a half-white and half-green colored capsule. It has written PROZAC 20 mg on it.
- Prozac 40 mg: This capsule is half-green and half-orange colored. DISTA 3107 and PROZAC 40 mg is inked on it.
- Prozac 60 mg: Prozac 60 mg is a half-white half-green colored capsule. This is the highest available dose of Prozac.
How Does It Work?
It works in the brain. This stops the absorption of serotonin hormone in the brain. This hormone works for sleep, mood, appetite, energy, and other bodily functions. This medicine helps brain cells to transmit messages which leads to a happy and stable mood. This helps to reduce stress and anxiety and uplifts mood.
How Long Does It Stay In The Body?
Prozac is a long-term medication. Its effects can not be seen within a few days of medication. However, It starts working within some minutes of consumption, but within 5 to 6 hours of consumption, its effectiveness is at the top. Some particles of it can be found in various parts of the body for 5 to 6 days after the last use by some special tests.
How To Use It?
You should use this medicine in the exact way you are directed to use it by your doctor or healthcare provider. Do not increase or decrease the doses on your own.
Your doctor will change the doses in the necessary conditions. The number of doses is decided by observing the patient’s health conditions and response to the treatment.
It is taken orally. Normally, it is used once a day. But if you are prescribed to take it twice daily. Then take one in the early morning and one in the late evening. For Premenstrual problems, it is directed to be taken every day for a full month or just 2 weeks before the periods. Take it carefully.
Stopping the consumption of Prozac will cause various withdrawal symptoms in the body. The withdrawal symptoms are irritability, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, nightmares, headache, and/or paresthesias. So consult your doctor when you want to stop taking it.
Common Side Effects-
This medicine can cause some side effects in the body. Some of them are risky and others are not risky for life. If you experience any serious issues, stop taking it and consult your doctor immediately. You also need to visit your doctor if the casual side effects do not go away or bother you.
Certain casual side effects are;
- Sleep problems
- Vision changes
- Feeling nervous
- Tired feeling
- Upset stomach
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Hot flashes,
- Changes in weight
- Stuffy nose
- Sinus pain
- Sore throat
- Flu symptoms
- Decreased sex drive
- Difficulty having an orgasm
Some dangerous side effects are;
- Racing thoughts
- Decreased need for sleep
- Unusual risk-taking behavior
- Feelings of extreme happiness or sadness
- Being more talkative than usual
- Blurred vision
- Tunnel vision
- Eye pain or swelling
- Seeing halos around lights
- Changes in weight
- Unusual bone pain or tenderness
- Swelling or bruising
- Changes in appetite
- Unusual bleeding from your nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum
- Coughing up blood
- High fever
- Fast or uneven heartbeats
- Slurred speech
- Severe weakness
- Loss of coordination
- Feeling unsteady
In Case You Missed A Dose-
If you have forgotten to take a dose in the directed time then take it as soon as you remembered. But if the time is nearer to the time to take the next dose, then do not consume the skipped dose. Take the usual dose
In Case You Overdosed-
Overdosing of this medicine can have serious indications like nausea, coma, tremor, confusion, tachycardia, vomiting, and dizziness If someone has consumed an overdose and is going through such symptoms, then immediately take them to a doctor for urgent treatment or call the poison help center.
Warnings And Precautions-
If you get allergies after using this, then stop taking it and consult your doctor. Before taking this medicine you should take care of the warnings and precautions on it. Such as
- Alcohol, marijuana, or any kind of alcoholic substance is not allowed during the consumption period of this medicine.
- Prozac is not allowed to be used by children below 18 years.
- Pregnant women are not directed to take this medicine. Talk to your doctor about it and ask for some alternatives. If you get pregnant or planning to be, then inform the doctor or your healthcare provider immediately about it.
- This passes through breastmilk. If you are a breastfeeding mother, consult your doctor about the consumption of this medicine.
There are some diseases that can get worse or can create problems in the body with the use of this medicine. Such diseases are;
- Bipolar disorder
- Personal or family history of suicide attempts
- Liver problems
- Low sodium in the blood
- Severe dehydration
- Stomach/intestinal ulcers
Inform your doctor if you have any of the above diseases before prescribing Prozac.
Prozac can create havoc in the body if interacts with some medicines. Those medicines can impact their effectiveness or vice versa. Sometimes the mixed effectiveness of both medicines causes some serious issues in the body. Before prescribing it, your doctor needs to be clear about your other ongoing medications. Some medicines that can not be taken with Prozac are;
- Opioid medication
- Any other anti-depressants
- Sleeping pills such as Xanax, Lunesta, Restoril, etc.
- Muscle relaxer
- Medicine for anxiety or seizure such as Paxil, Prozac, Luvox, etc.
Keep this medicine in a cool, dry place at room temperature. Moisture and direct sunlight can damage the medicines, so keep away from those. Keep the medicines in an airtight box. Children should stay away from this. The unused medicine and expired medicines should not keep in your home, because your children may take them without knowing. You can also ask the pharmacist or the local disposal factory for it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does coffee affect Prozac?
No, coffee or caffeine does not affect Prozac. It does affect any antidepressants as tested to date. Some studies have found that coffee enhances the effect of antidepressants. However, it is not clear yet.
How effective is Prozac anxiety?
Prozac is a highly effective medicine in terms of treating anxiety disorder. It promotes the secretion of serotonin hormone, which is a happy hormone. This relaxes the mood. This way it treats anxiety.
Why does fluoxetine take so long to work?
Like any other antidepressant, Prozac also takes time to work. Because it inactivates the genes in our DNA that code for the transporter along with serotonin transporters. So the result takes time.