Gabapentin is available as both a brand and a generic medication. The brand name of Gabapentin includes Neurontin, Gralise, and Horizant. Commonly, it is prescribed for the treatment of nerve pain caused by herpes-family viruses, partial seizures, and restless leg syndrome. You should not take it for minor injuries. Buy Gabapentin Online for maintaining severe pain and the patient gets relaxed.
Availability Of Gabapentin:
Gabapentin is used to control Seizure pain that is available in capsules, tablets, and liquid forms.
- The capsule form: These capsules are available as 100, 300, or 400 mg capsules (Neurontin or generic gabapentin).
- The tablet form: It’s available in 300 mg, 600 mg, and 800 mg tablets (Neurontin or generic gabapentin).
- Liquid form: The liquid form contains 250 mg of gabapentin per 5 ml (50 mg per mL) generic gabapentin.
The dose of this medicine will vary from patient to patient. The amount of medicine depends on its strength. The following information includes the doses of this medicine.
It has a white color in a capsule shape. It has mentioned 100 mg IG 321on the tablet.
This strength has half of the yellow color in a round shape. It has mentioned 300 mg IG 322 on the tablet.
Gabapentin this dose comes in 400 mg form with a capsule shape with brown color. It marks on the medicine as SG 181.
It has white with Oval Shape and debossed as D 24 on one side. Another side has plain.
This medication has white with Oval Shape & Mark as OE on one side and another side 800.
It has a white color with tablet-shaped & debossed as 1200 25.
It is oval-shaped and debossed OE on one side and plain on the other.
How Does Gabapentin Work?
Gabapentin is a group of medicines called anticonvulsants or antiepileptics. It works on the chemical messengers in your brain and nerve pain. Also, it blocks pain signals traveling through the damaged nerves and the brain for preventing seizures.
How To Use Medication?
You should read the patient Information Leaflet provided by your pharmacist before you start taking gabapentin. With a glass of water, you should take this medication orally with or without food as directed by your doctor every day. Doses are based on your age, gender, medical condition, and response to your doctor. For children, a dose depends upon weight, age, gender, and physical condition, in response to treatment.
It is the best way to take medicines at a fixed time as recommended by the doctor. Regularly using medication with proper time can avoid the increasing chances of seizures. If you take the capsule, swallow it whole with plenty of water. Your doctor prescribes you a lower dose during the first few days of treatment. It may gradually increase in doses.
Side Effects Of Gabapentin
Side effects of Gabapentin are commonly shown in patients after use of it. But some patients affect in minor and some are affected with serious side effects.
Minor side effects of this drug are:
- Viral infection
- Mood swings
- Blurred vision
- Urinary tract infection
- Increased appetite
- High blood pressure
- Difficulty breathing
- Facial swelling
- Back or chest pain
- Sore throat
- Stomach pain
- Difficulties with erection (impotence)
- Weight gain
- Muscle pain
- Swelling in the legs and arms
- Difficulty while walking
- Dry mouth
- Memory loss
- Mouth ulcers
- Swollen glands
Missed Dose And Overdosed:
If you forget to take medicine, you take it as soon as you can. Skip the dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not take double doses at one time.
You may feel some symptoms of an overdose, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Double vision
Go to your doctor if you experience the above symptoms after taking two doses accidentally.
It may interact with pain killers like Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Codeine, Tramadol, antipsychotics, antimalarial, and anti-histamine(cetirizine), and weight loss medication. You should ask your doctor before taking any medication with Gabapentin.
Drug-Food Interaction: Avoid consumption of alcohol and herbal products while taking the medication. It may worsen side effects like dizziness and drowsiness.
Warnings And Precautions:
Before consuming Gabapentin you need to know certain conditions. You should follow all of them to be safe while going through this medication.
- For pregnant women: During pregnancy, you should not use Gabapentin. Research has shown a negative impact on the fetus when the mother takes the drug. Discuss with your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become a baby. Call your doctor if you become pregnant while taking this drug.
- For Lactating mothers: Gabapentin may pass into breast milk and cause side effects in a breastfeeding child. Tell your doctor if you are in lactating stage. Your doctor should decide whether you should stop taking this drug or stop breastfeeding.
- For seniors: As increase in age, your kidney function may decrease. Your drug’s working process is slower than younger people. Your doctor may start you on a lowered dose. Too much of the drug can be dangerous to your body.
- For children: It should not use on people younger than 18 years. This drug should not use to treat partial seizures in children younger than 3 years old.
You should take some precautions before taking medicines. Such precautions are as follows.
- Tell your doctor if you have ever had such problems before taking it: Diabetes, Depression, a mood disorder, suicidal thoughts or actions, drug addiction, Liver disease, Breathing problems or lung disease, Kidney disease, Heart disease, etc.
- You should not use Gabapentin if you experience any allergy to it.
- Do not start or stop taking it for seizures without your doctor’s advice.
- You should take this medication in a tight, clean container.
- consult your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- After taking it, you should not go outside of the house. Take one hour to two hours rest at home.
- If you take it more often or increase your dose without consulting a doctor, you may increase serious side effects.
- You should not take driving or hazardous activity after taking Gabapentin. You know it will affect you. Dizziness or drowsiness can cause accidents or severe injuries to you.
- Do not stop using it without consulting your doctor.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Gabapentin.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you drive after taking this medication?
Do not drive or operate machinery if you experience dizziness or drowsiness after using Gabapentin. Sometimes you may feel blurry/double vision after taking it. Hence, you should avoid driving in such situations. Go to your doctor if the symptoms persist longer.
Can the medication cause increase in your weight?
Yes, Gabapentin may cause weight gain. This medication increases your hunger. Regular physical exercise with low-calorie food may help you keep your weight balance. But if you take more protein-added foods, you may gain weight. Please consult your doctor to stable in weight.
What is the benefit of using Gabapentin?
Gabapentin is a prescribed medication approved by the FDA to treat seizures and neuropathic. Adults and children of 3 years or older can use this medicine.
This medication works in the brain and Central Nervous System by blocking nerves in the body. It decreases the pain and you feel calm and excited.