Dilaudid is directed when the non-opioid medicines can not help the patient endure the pain. Take this medicine as your healthcare provider has told you to take it. Do not decide on the doses of this medicine on your own, this can be life-risking. Talk to your doctor if you get any side effects on your body after taking Dilaudid.
Showing all 3 results
Dilaudid is the brand name to sell the generic drug Hydromorphone. It is prescribed to get relief from average to extreme pain. This is used for cancer pain, pain from a broken bone, after-surgery pain, or pain caused by any serious injury. Hydromorphone belongs to the opioid analgesics class of drugs. Buy Dilaudid online to get narcotic medication for controlling severe pain. There is a high chance of abusing it.
Hydromorphone was invented in 1923. It is extracted from morphine but these two are not the same. It has more potential than morphine.
This medication is directed when the non-opioid medicines can not help the patient endure the pain.
It is available in both liquid form and tablet form. There is also a variety of doses available in tablet form. The doses are as follows;
- Dilaudid 2 mg: This is the lowest available dose of it. This tablet is round-shaped, light orange-colored, and marked P, 2 on different sides of it.
- Dilaudid 4 mg: It is light yellow in color, and round in shape. It has P written on one side and 4 on the other side of the tablet.
- Dilaudid 8 mg: Dilaudid 8 mg is the largest dose of it in tablet form. It is a white-colored, 3-side shaped tablet, P d written on one side and 8 written on another side of it.
How Does It Work?
It works mainly in the brain and in the Central Nervous System (CNS). As Dilaudid is an opioid medication, it works by blocking the opioid receptors. This helps in changing the way the brain feels and reacts to pain.
It starts working within 15 minutes after consuming it and its effectiveness touches the top between 30 minutes to 1 hour of use. It works to relieve pain for 4 to 6 hours.
The presence of it can be found for almost 3 days in the body after the last use.
How To Use It?
Take it as the exact way you are directed by your pharmacist or healthcare provider. Taking it for a longer period than the prescription will be very dangerous. You should not increase or decrease the doses of this medicine on your own.
This is taken orally. If you are using the liquid form, then get yourself an exact measurement cup. Take exactly measured doses.
The use of Dilaudid should not be stopped promptly, this will give serious withdrawal issues. One should consult their doctor before stopping the use of this.
Common Side Effects:
Taking Dilaudid can cause certain side effects. Some of them are usual, but some of them can be very harmful. In both cases talk to your healthcare provider about it.
Certain usual side effects of taking Dilaudid are
- Stomach pain
- Tired feeling
- Feelings of extreme happiness or sadness
- Mild itching
- Dry mouth
- Flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling)
Some risky side effects are ;
- Noisy breathing
- Shallow breathing
- Breathing that stops during sleep
- Feelings of extreme happiness or sadness
- Severe weakness or drowsiness
- A light-headed feeling, like passing out
- Infertility missed menstrual periods
- Sexual problems
- Loss of interest in sex
- Low cortisol levels – nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite
- Worsening tiredness, or weakness
In case you feel any of these above issues, then stop taking Dilaudid and consult your physician or pharmacist immediately. In any extreme condition seek urgent treatment.
Also if you are getting allergic reactions like hives, swelling of the face, neck, or lips, or trouble breathing, then stop taking this medicine and inform your healthcare provider about it.
Missed Dose And Overdose:
This is a painkiller, so if you miss a dose you will feel pain. Take the forgotten dose as quickly as you remember. But if the time is nearer to the next usual dose then do not take it, otherwise, it may lead to overdose.
Do not take more than one dose at a time if you are not prescribed to do so. It will overdose. A person who has overdosed on Dilaudid will have symptoms like slow breathing and heart rate, severe drowsiness, muscle weakness, cold and clammy skin, pinpoint pupils, and fainting.
Go to your nearest hospital immediately and seek urgent attention, consult your doctor or call the poison help center.
Warnings And Precautions:
You should not drive or work with any heavy machinery while using Dilaudid.
Tell your doctor about your previous medical history or if you are currently suffering from any health issues. This medicine can have a worse impact on those treatments or on the diseases.
Inform your physician if you have the following diseases
- Brain disorders such as head injury, tumor, seizures
- Breathing problems such as asthma, sleep apnea, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-COPD, kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Mental or mood disorders, depression
- Personal or family history of a substance use disorder like overuse of or addiction to drugs, alcohol
- Stomach or intestinal problems
- Difficulty urinating
- Enlarged prostate
- Gallbladder disease
- The disease of the pancreas
Pregnant women should consult their healthcare provider to take it. It could be taken in extreme necessary conditions but with the doctor’s approval. Talk to your doctor if you are going to be pregnant. This passes through breast milk, so if you are a breastfeeding mother consult your physician about it.
Using certain other medicines with it will have an impact on the effectiveness of this. These medicines may increase or decrease the effect of Dilaudid which is harmful. Those medicines are
- other narcotic medications – opioid pain medicine or prescription cough medicine
- a sedative like Valium – diazepam, alprazolam, lorazepam, Xanax, Klonopin, Versed, and others
- drugs that make you sleepy or slow your breathing – a sleeping pill, muscle relaxer, medicine to treat mood disorders or mental illness
- drugs that affect serotonin levels in your body – a stimulant, or medicine for depression, Parkinson’s disease, migraine headaches, serious infections, or nausea and vomiting.
- Aspirin, baclofen, lisinopril
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
Interaction of alcohol or any alcoholic substance will cause fatal problems. Do not consume alcohol while using Dilaudid.
Store this medicine in a cool, dry place at room temperature. Moisture and direct sunlight can damage the medicines, keeping them away from those. Keep the tablets in an airtight container. Children should stay away from this. Dispose of the expired and unused medicines in a place that children and animals can not reach there.
Frequently Asked Questions
What medications should not be taken with this drug?
There are some medicines that should not be taken with Dilaudid as it can decrease or increase its impact of it. Those are other opioid medications, sedatives, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, Lyrica (pregabalin), metformin, omeprazole, Oxycodone, prednisone, etc. You should inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are using this medicine while prescribing Dilaudid.
What is the half-life of the medicine?
The half-life of a drug is the time it takes for the amount of a drug’s active substance in your body to reduce by half. Dilaudid takes 4 to 6 hours to wear off from the system, but it stays for 3 to 4 days in the body.
How strong is the pain medication Dilaudid?
This is a very powerful pain reliever used to treat pain like cancer pain, severe injury pain, or pain from a broken bone. This is much more powerful than morphine, approximately about 5 times more powerful than morphine.
Does Dilaudid make you crazy?
Mental changes like agitation, confusion, and hallucinations do occur in some cases of Dilaudid consumption. But most patients do not get such serious side effects. If you are experiencing such risky side effects, then stop taking it and immediately consult your healthcare provider.
When should you not take Dilaudid?
One should not take it if she is pregnant, planning to be pregnant, or breastfeeding a baby. But in extreme necessity, they can take it with the doctor’s approval. Persons having some diseases like Addison’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, brain problems, breathing disorders, liver disease, and many other diseases should not consume this medicine.