Opana Er is an Opana Extended-Release tablet. Opana ER is the brand name, its generic drug is Oxymorphone hydrochloride. It is directed to manage extreme pain. Buy Opana ER online for use when an around-the-clock opioid pain reliever is needed. Regular long-term use of this medicine will lead to addiction and it has a high chance of abuse.
Oxymorphone was first produced in 1914 by Germans. It was used in 1959. Seeing the risk of abusing it, the FDA ( Food and Drug Administration), USA banned it in 2017. But This is still available in the USA market and can be bought only with the prescription of a licensed doctor.
Opana ER has various dosages available in different colors and shapes, like;
- Opana ER 5 mg: This is the lowest available dose of it. It is a round-shaped dark gray-colored medicine. E 612 5 written on it.
- Opana ER 7.5 mg: This is a dark gray-colored medicine in a round shape. It has written 71/2 on one side and E on the other side of the tablet.
- Opana ER 10 mg: Opana ER 10 mg pill is orange-colored, eight-sided shape, and 10 is written on one side, plain on another side.
- Opana ER 15 mg: It is a white-colored, round-in shape tablet that has 15 and E written on two different sides.
- Opana ER 20 mg: This tablet is round-shaped, and light green in color. It is marked with E on one side and 20 on the other side.
- Opana ER 30 mg: A round-shaped red-colored tablet, E and 30 written on different sides is Opana ER 30 mg.
- Opana ER 40 mg: This tablet is round-shaped and light yellow colored. It has E written on one side and 40 on the other side of the tablet. This is the largest dose of Opana ER.
How Does It Work?
Opana ER works in the brain. It goes under the classification of drugs known as opioid analgesics. It helps by altering the response of the brain towards pain. Normally, it stops the receiving nerves in the Central Nervous system.
It starts reducing pain after 15 to 30 minutes of consumption and its effectiveness stays up to 12 hours. However, the effectiveness of instant-release tablets stays for 4 to 6 hours. But it stays for 3 to 4 days in various parts of the body.
How To Use It?
Take it as the exact way you are directed by your pharmacist or healthcare provider. Taking it for a longer period than the prescription will be very dangerous. You should not increase or decrease the doses of this medicine on your own.
This is taken orally. It is taken on an empty stomach.
The use of Opana ER should not be stopped promptly, this will give serious withdrawal issues. One should consult their doctor before stopping the use of this.
Opana ER 5 mg is taken during the starting days of the treatment. Then the doctor will increase the doses if needed.
Common Drug Side Effects:
Using Opana can develop certain side effects. Some of them are normal and less risky. But there are some side effects of it that can be very dangerous.
Usual side effects are;
- Stomach pain
Its severe life-risking side effects are
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Slow breathing with long pauses,
- Blue-colored lips
- Difficulty to wake up
- Weak or shallow breathing
- Breathing that stops during sleep
- Chest pain
- Cough with yellow or green mucus
- Severe vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Worsening tiredness
- Fast heart rate
- Muscle stiffness
- Loss of coordination, and
If you experience these conditions, stop using Opana. Consult your doctor immediately and seek urgent treatment to get rid of these effects.
Missed Dose And Overdose:
This is a pain reliever, so if you miss a dose you will feel pain. Take the forgotten dose as quickly as you remember. But if the time is nearer to the next usual dose then do not take it, otherwise, it will cause certain dangerous problems.
If someone has taken an extra dose or a larger dose than prescribed, then they will get symptoms like slow breathing or feeling like passing out, give them Naloxone if available. Consult your doctor instantly, take them to the nearest hospital for urgent treatment or call the poison help center.
Special Warnings And Precautions:
Drinking alcohol or consuming any kind of alcoholic substance with this medicine can be deadly.
Tell your doctor about your previous health issues if any. Also, consult your doctor if you are currently suffering from some disease. Some certain diseases can get worse with the use of it. Those diseases are
- Brain disorders
- Head injury
- Breathing problems such as asthma
- Sleep apnea
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-COPD
- Gallbladder disease
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Mental or mood disorders
- Depression, thoughts of suicide
- Personal or family history of a substance use disorder
- Overuse of or addiction to drugs, alcohol
- Stomach or intestinal problems such as blockage
- Diarrhea due to infection
- Paralytic ileus
- Cancer of the esophagus or colon
- Difficulty swallowing
- The disease of the pancreas (pancreatitis)
- Difficulty urinating (such as due to enlarged prostate)
If you have any of these diseases, make sure your doctor knows it before prescribing Opana ER medication.
Driving and working with heavy machines or doing anything that needs concentration or alertness should be prohibited while taking it.
With the doctor’s approval, a pregnant person can use this, when the necessity of using it will be at the top. If you are planning to get pregnant then inform your doctor about it.
This can pass through breast milk. If you are a breastfeeding mother and taking Opana ER then there is a high chance that your baby will develop some serious side effects. Visit your healthcare provider before taking it.
Using certain other medicines with Opana ER will have an impact on the effectiveness of this. These medicines may increase or decrease the effect of it which is harmful. Those medicines are;
- pain medications, mixed opioid agonist-antagonists such as butorphanol, nalbuphine, pentazocine, naltrexone,
- products with alcoholic beverages such as cough-and-cold syrups
- Marijuana (cannabis)
- Drugs for sleep or anxiety
- Muscle relaxants
- Antihistamines, cetirizine, diphenhydramine
Sometimes, some of these medicines increase their effectiveness of it, which can lead to some fatal issues. Before prescribing for Opana ER, tell your physician or pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines.
Store this medicine in a cool, dry place at room temperature. Moisture and direct sunlight can damage the medicines, so keep away from those. Keep the tablets in an airtight container. Children should stay away from this. Dispose of the expired and unused medicines in a place that children and animals can not reach there.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the highest milligram of Opana?
Opana ER has various doses like Opana ER 5 mg, Opana ER 7.5 mg, Opana ER 10 mg, Opana ER 15 mg, Opana ER 20 mg, Opana ER 30 mg, Opana ER 40 mg. The highest milligram available is Opana ER 40 mg. But the highest prescribed dose is Opana ER 20 mg.
How often do you take Opana?
Opana instant-release tablets work for 4 to 6 hours, while Opana Extended-release tablets help to reduce pain for 9 to 12 hours. So if you are taking Opana IR then take it every 5 to 6-hour interval a day. If you are taking Opana ER then consume it twice a day.
What is Opana used for?
Opana is used as a pain reliever to reduce severe pain like pain from cancer or chronic pain. It is an opioid medication. This is not used for need basic pain. It is used for long-term treatment.
Does Opana make you sleepy?
Yes, Opana makes you sleepy. It is somehow a narcotic medication. Among other casual side effects, dizziness or drowsiness are the most common effects of it.
What is the generic for Opana?
This is an opioid medicine. This is a brand name used for the selling of the generic drug Oxymorphone hydrochloride. It is used to treat severe pain.